Re: space between pianostaves

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: space between pianostaves
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:11:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 3 May 2010, Xavier Scheuer wrote:

Sorry if it does not work, I'm truly not an expert in this new vertical
spacing engine (I still need to improve my understanding of this)...

BTW here are the related links in the doc:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/vertical-spacing-inside-a-system
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/page-formatting#Vertical-dimensions

Thanks, I will experiment with your suggestions. I want to learn the art of tweaking anyway!

I was confused by NR 4.1.2 (Page Formatting - Vertical Dimensions) where I read:

" between-system-spacing

Specifies the spacing between the center of the bottom staff of one system and the center of the top staff of the following system. See after-title-spacing. "

I tried this in my \paper {} section with my pianosolo score. My understanding of a "system" is the combination of - in my case - the RH + LH staves. But when I tried between-system-spacing the space between the systems did NOT change as I expected, but the space between the LH and RH staves inside the system did.

I wished this would be called something like "between-staff-spacing" and that another "between-system-spacing" would really do what it promises ? Or am I missing or misunderstanding something ?

Trying to avoid using \override and schemish things as much as possible, another way I came close to what I was trying to accomplish was simply using a \pageBreak. But this only helped to improve the spacing on my first page but not on my second. (The piece fits on two pages, but then leaves too much whitespace at the end of the piece). And, this would not work for smaller, one page pieces.

An easy but ugly workaround was to add for example
        \pageBreak \s

at the end of the piece.

This gave me a perfectly formatted printed two page score, plus a third garbage page. Except for that last useless page, I must say I liked this method best. Does another command exist that tells Lilypond to use the complete last page for formatting ? If not, why not allow the user to use \pageBreak at the end of a piece (or another, new, command) to produce this effect without an extra dummy page being printed ?

What I'm looking for is an easy way to control the number of PianoStaff systems per page. I now have several methods I can use, but still feel things are more complicated than they ought to be.

--

Martin