How do you test .MIDI output when the MIDI instrument is not supported?

From: Disc Magnet
Subject: How do you test .MIDI output when the MIDI instrument is not supported?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 04:09:21 +0530

There some seems to be some MIDI instruments supported by lilypond
that doesn't seem to be supported by timidity. In such a case, I don't
get silence output from timidity while plaing the .midi file. For
example, I was trying the 'string ensemble 2' instrument. The code is:

\score {
    \new Staff \relative c' {
        \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Strings"
        \set Staff.midiInstrument = "string ensemble 2"
        c' d e f g a b c
        c b a g f e d c
    }
    \midi { }
    \layout{ }
}

The lilypond command and output:

$ lilypond x.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.12.2
Processing `x.ly'
Parsing...
x.ly:0: warning: : no \version statement found, please add

\version "2.12.2"

for future compatibility
Interpreting music...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
MIDI output to `x.midi'...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `x.ps'...
Converting to `./x.pdf'...

Timidity output:

$ timidity x.midi
Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 30104, period size 3760 bytes
Playing x.midi
MIDI file: x.midi
Format: 1  Tracks: 2  Divisions: 384
Sequence: control track
Text: creator:
Text: GNU LilyPond 2.12.2
Track name:
Instrument: string ensemble 2
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 49 - this instrument will
not be heard
No pre-resampling cache hit

I would like to know what is the usual way of testing the output of
such MIDI files that use an instrument name not supported by Timidity?