Re: Macro or variable for sequence of notes that repeat often?

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Macro or variable for sequence of notes that repeat often?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:42:00 +0200

On 12.06.2010, at 16:08, Disc Magnet wrote:

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 7:33 PM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain
<address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:55:01 +0530
Disc Magnet <address@hidden> wrote:
In my Lilypond input file, I have a group of notes that are repeated
at many places in the music. Here is a hypothetical example.

c d e f g a b c
c c c d d d e e
a b a b c c d d
c d e f g a b c
f e fe f e g g g
c d e f g a b c

So, you can see that 'c d e f g a b c' is repeated again and again. Is there a way to make a macro or a variable and store 'c d e f g a b c'
in it and reuse it whenever required?

Riff1 = {c d e f g a b c}
\Riff1

Thanks. I have many arpeggios in my piece as well. So, I'm planning to
to use it in ths manner:

dMinor = {d f a f d f a f} and use \dMinor whereever required.  But, I
am also wondering that since there are many standard chords and
arpeggios such a C-major, D-minor, E-minor, etc. is there a way to
tell Lilypond that I need the arpeggio D-minor from C-major scale and
it would just print the arpeggio?

I understand what you're getting at, but there are a lot of variables to something like this. If you use the same patterns frequently, then you can create a custom file which defines the patterns you use, and include it in any files you create. The problem is, what happens when you want to repeat the top or bottom note, or not, change the timing on any note, add an octave, etc.