Re: Alternative polymetric representation

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Alternative polymetric representation
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:36:12 -0600

On 6/14/10 6:24 PM, "Arle Lommel" <address@hidden> wrote:

> (Sorry for the lengthy post, but a couple of issues came up when I tried to
> work with an older file I did some time ago.)
>
> About 18 months ago Reinhold helped me figure out how to display time
> signatures like (3+3+4)/16 in which there is a complex upper portion of the
> time signature over a simple lower portion. Reinhold provided a fairly complex
> fix at that time, but with updating from 2.12.2 to 2.13.18, it runs into some
> problems with beat grouping. In particular running the convert does a
> reasonable job except for this error:
>
>> Not smart enough to convert beatGrouping.
>>    beatGrouping with a specified context must now be accomplished with
>>    \overrideBeamSettings.
>> Please refer to the manual for details, and update manually.
>
> OK. Fair enough, I need to look at the current manual, but there are some
> problems with the documentation online that make this problematic.
>
> If I go to here:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13//Documentation/web/manuals.html
>
> and search, it does not search the 2.13 documentation, but the 2.12
> documentation (where \overrideBeamSettings is, for obvious reasons, not
> found).

> So the question is where can I find the documentation for
> \overrideBeamSettings? I'd like to consult that *before* I come here and get a
> RTFM response, but in this case it seems that TFM doesn't exist.

Instead of searching, go to the Notation Reference, and use the LilyPond
index.  There's an entry for overrideBeamSettings.

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/lilypond-index>

HTH,

Carl

P.S.  There is another change in autobeam syntax currently in review, so if
this isn't time critical, you may want to wait a week or two.