Re: subdivideBeams problem

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: subdivideBeams problem
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:32:54 +0100

On 20 July 2010 13:25, Geisel Hanna <address@hidden> wrote:

> The beams aren't subdivided in my output, but divided by 8th notes.
> I think I followed the instructions from the manual correctly, but the
> subdivision just doesn't work, where's my mistake?

You're almost there.  There are just two more changes required:

1) You've set beatLength to 1 8, so you also need to set beatGrouping
to ensure the beats are grouped in sets of two:

\set beatGrouping = #'(2 2)

2) The above still doesn't work with demisemiquavers, since there are
some default beaming rules which still need reverting.

Here are the default rules from scm/auto-beam.scm:

;; in 2 4 time:
    ;;   use beatLength for all except 32nd notes
    ;;   end beams with 32nd notes each 1 8 beat

    ((end 1 32 2 4) . ,(ly:make-moment 1 8))
    ((end 1 32 2 4) . ,(ly:make-moment 2 8))
    ((end 1 32 2 4) . ,(ly:make-moment 3 8))

The first and last rules here should be reverted (you can ignore the
second rule if you like; it matches the beat grouping you want, so can
be ignored):

#(revert-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 32 2 4) 1 8)
#(revert-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 32 2 4) 3 8)

> I also didn't manage to find the file scm/music-functions.scm, where can I
> find that?

It depends on your operating system.  This page should narrow it down:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Other-sources-of-information#Other-sources-of-information

Cheers,
Neil