Re: notes sharing stems

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: notes sharing stems
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:44:44 +0200

Am Freitag 01 Oktober 2010, um 11:26:56 schrieb Xavier Scheuer:
> On 1 October 2010 00:27, James Wilkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
> > \version 2.13.34
> >
> > I've got three percussion voices sharing a staff. When I made the bottom
> > two voices be \voiceTwo and \voiceFour, I got downward stems, but each
> > note had its own stem. Then I tried making them both be \voiceTwo. That
> > gave me the printed output that I wanted: when notes coincide, they
> > share a stem. However, I got lots of "ignoring too many colliding note
> > columns" warnings.
> >
> > Warnings make me nervous. I'm considering putting both those parts in a
> > single voice and writing chords when notes coincide.
> >
> > Anybody have a better suggestion?
>
>   \partcombine  maybe?

No, that won't work, because james said he needs three percussion voices on
that staff. Part-combine only works with exactly two voices.
Also, Part-combine in versions prior to 2.13.35 often chose a suboptimal
combination (i.e. even for a single note it indicated "Solo" or "a2") with no
way to override such a bad decision. Some days ago, I finally committed a patch
that adds \partcombineApart, \partcombineChords, etc. to override the
decisions of the part-combiner. It will takea while, of course, until it will
be released in a stable version (i.e. it will be in 2.14, but not in 2.12.x).

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * Edition Kainhofer Music Publishing, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/
 * LilyPond music typesetting software, http://www.lilypond.org/