Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:01:05 -0600

On 10/12/10 2:44 PM, "James Wilkinson" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10/11/10 6:19 PM, James Bailey wrote:
>
>>> 2)  In another measure the upper voice has a quarter rest followed
>>> by a half note on the bottom line of the staff. The lower voice has
>>> a dotted half rest. The problem here is that the half note in the
>>> upper voice is so low on the staff that it prints over the rest in
>>> the lower voice. These voices share a staff in the score, but not
>>> in the individual parts.
>>
>> Can you actually provide an example of how you've done this? I can't
>> for the life of me figure out how you get the collision.
>
> Yo! And note how it's fixed in the second measure!!!!! The quarter rest
> is high on the staff in measure one (I thin) because
> merge-rests-on-positioning can't handle full-measure rests, so I decided
> to chop the "R2." up into "r4 r2" in the second measure to see if that
> wouldn't fix it. Not only fixed that, but fixed the problem that started
> this whole thing. I'm inordinately pleased with myself. (druther be
> lucky than good)

You will also avoid the collision if you write the whole-measure rest for
trumpet III as r1*3/4.

> Any chance the full-measure/multi-measure problem will get fixed?

How can we merge a multi-measure rest with a part-measure rest?

> Oh, yeah. Why is the "Preferences..." entry dead on the Lilypond menu?
> Mac OS 10.4.11.

You'll get much better response from the list if you do one issue per email,
and if your subject matches your question.

I don't know the answer, but I'd guess it's because there *are* no
Preferences to set in this app.  It's intended to be a minimal app.

Thanks,

Carl