Re: alpha test, spacing ajusments

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: alpha test, spacing ajusments
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:03:16 -0700

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:35:23 -0700, Jan Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:

2010/11/3 Keith E OHara <address@hidden>

I don't fully understand... Are you refering to the lyricsStaff.png picture?
Yes.  You understood correctly.  (I confused th order of the pictures)

[ . . . ] In this case
they should be centered (because they apply to both staves) and i told
LilyPond to do so:
\new Lyrics \with { \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #CENTER }
but the result was wrong.

I think I see.  Lilypond centers the *baseline* of the text between the staves,
which puts the 'center' of the lyrics too high.

To get visually-centered lyrics, the user has to decide what height of text he
wants to center, and request that the baseline be one text-height closer to the
lower staff than to the upper, with balanced stretchability :
  \override VerticalAxisGroup #'inter-staff-spacing = #'(
          (space . 4.5) (stretchability . 9) (padding . 0.8))
  \override VerticalAxisGroup #'non-affinity-spacing = #'(
          (space . 3.6) (stretchability . 9) (padding . 1.6))
We could enhance the relevant snippet (http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=356)
so that the Lyrics remain centered when the staff is stretched, after 2.14 is
stable.

So, as I understand the last two messages, it is not always required to keep
lyrics closer to their associated staff than to the other neighbor staff.   It
is sufficient to provide enough 'padding to keep lyrics away from
non-associated notes and dynamics.  That can be done with minor adjustments to
the overrides already in the Lyrics section of engraver-init.ly
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'inter-staff-spacing = #'(
      (minimum-distance . 5.5) (padding . 0.5))
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'non-affinity-spacing #'padding = #1.5