Re: Mixing notation and lyric entry

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: Mixing notation and lyric entry
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:52:56 +0100

Hi,

2010/12/14 Michael Ellis <address@hidden>:
> Is there a clean way to enter a phrase followed by the corresponding notes
> in a \relative block?  The example given in the docs,
>
> {
>   \time 3/4
>   \relative c' { c2 e4 g2. }
>   \addlyrics { play the game }
> }
>
> is fine for a small example, but it gets messy for longer music.   I do a
> lot of transcribing choral parts out of printed scores and would like to be
> able to keep the lyrics together with the music in chunks of a few bars

I don't know how it could be done, and i strongly recommend not doing
this. Separating different types of content is in my opinion very
beneficial, for example i use the following template for choral music
and i find it very logically structured, clear to read and easy to
maintain (for example i can easily change an existing piece to be
written on two staves instead of four just by changing structure in
"choir" block):

\version "2.12.3"
\pointAndClickOff
\header {
        title = ""
        subtitle = ""
        poet = "słowa: "
        composer = "muzyka: "
        arranger = "opracowanie: "
}
global = {
        \autoBeamOff
        \key
        \time
}
scoretempomarker = {
        \tempo
        \set Score.tempoHideNote = ##t
}
%--------------------------------MUSIC--------------------------------
sopranomelody = \relative c'' {

        \bar "|."
}
altomelody = \relative f' {

        \bar "|."
}
tenormelody = \relative c' {

        \bar "|."
}
bassmelody = \relative f {

        \bar "|."
}
akordy = \chordmode {

}
%--------------------------------LYRICS--------------------------------
sopranotext =  \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1. "

}
altotext =  \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1. "

}
tenortext =  \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1. "

}
basstext =  \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1. "

}
stanzas = \markup {
}
%--------------------------------THE BIG STRUCTURE
VARIABLE--------------------------------

choirpart = {
        \new ChoirStaff <<
                \scoretempomarker
                \new ChordNames { \germanChords \akordy }
                \new Staff = soprano {
                        \clef treble
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "S "
                        \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "S "
                        \new Voice = soprano {
                                \global
                                \set Voice.midiInstrument = "clarinet"
                                \sopranomelody
                \new Lyrics = sopranolyrics \lyricsto soprano \sopranotext

                \new Staff = alto {
                        \clef treble
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "A "
                        \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "A "
                        \new Voice = alto {
                                \global
                                \set Voice.midiInstrument = "english horn"
                                \altomelody
                \new Lyrics = altolyrics \lyricsto alto \altotext

                \new Staff = tenor {
                        \clef "treble_8"
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "T "
                        \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "T "
                        \new Voice = tenor {
                                \global
                                \set Voice.midiInstrument = "english horn"
                                \tenormelody
                \new Lyrics = tenorlyrics \lyricsto tenor \tenortext

                \new Staff = bass {
                        \clef bass
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "B "
                        \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "B "
                        \new Voice = bass {
                                \global
                                \set Voice.midiInstrument = "clarinet"
                                \bassmelody
                \new Lyrics = basslyrics \lyricsto bass \basstext

}

%---------------------------------MIDI---------------------------------
\score {
        \unfoldRepeats \choir
        \midi {
                \context {
                        \Staff \remove "Staff_performer"
                }
                \context {
                        \Voice
                                \consists "Staff_performer"
                                \remove "Dynamic_performer"

%--------------------------------LAYOUT--------------------------------
\score {
        \choir
        \layout {
                indent = 0\cm
                \context {
                        \Staff \consists "Ambitus_engraver"

\stanzas

(if anyone wants to use this template, feel free to do it).

cheers,
Janek