Re: pdf creation and memory management.

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: pdf creation and memory management.
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:39:52 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Brandes" <address@hidden>
To: "LilyPond User Group" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:03 PM
Subject: pdf creation and memory management.

Greetings all,

  This is a question regarding the unseen forces of actually creating
a PDF. Yesterday. I ran a pdf generation that included 3 files each
file on its own takes approximately 3-4.5 minutes to generate a PDF
image, but together they took 7.5 hours and 2 seconds. The resulting
document 29 pages 900 kbs. I have run multiple files before to
generate single documents before that yielded similar page lengths but
never of such density note wise (on looking largest was 700kbs which
took an hour or thereabouts. The question is this, because of the
complex nature of these scores the machine required the use of swap
memory. I checked at one point and it was eating 1.2 gigs worth, which
really ties up the whole machine. I don't think Lilypond with the
things I have "compiled" before has ever needed swap memory before. is
this the Achilles heel that is slowing down the machine so
substantially or is it mostly the fact that adding such complex files
together simply causes such slowness to occur? I ask since I will have
to run this file at least twice more. (My corrections and some other
editors.) And I have yet to add the orchestral parts which may at that
point make it a whole day affair. And if this becomes more common
practice it might be worth investing in more RAM if that is the big
bottle neck.

Shane

(Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 1g RAM
Ubuntu 10.04 ) not exactly the fastest machine but it generally gets
things done efficiently enough.

I would expect that when Lily exceeds physical memory and needs to swap, then the processing time would increase by a huge amount. I was thinking about doing some benchmarking on this with virtual machines, but I think it's pretty clear - if the compile needs more than a gig, and that's all you have, then adding memory will speed up processing a lot.

--
Phil Holmes