Re: ties through parallel construction

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: ties through parallel construction
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:54:56 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Father Gordon Gilbert" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:11 AM
Subject: ties through parallel construction

Hi all,

In the following construction:

      <d a'>2 ~ <cis a'> ~ {<< \stemDown <d a'> \\ \stemUp {d'4 cis} >>}

the second "tilde" seems to have no effect.  I want to tie the 'a' in
the second chord to the 'a' in the third chord in the parallel bar.
Am I missing something?  How do I tie such a thing through this
construction?  Everything else about this line seems to work properly.

Thanks,

Gordon+

--
Fr. Gordon Gilbert
Penetanguishene, ON

You can't make ties (or slurs) continue into or out of voice changes - you need to arrange it so that all the tied notes exist within a voice, and use spacer rests if necessary in the other voice. Something like:

{
 <<
 \\
 { \stemUp {s2 s2 d'4 cis} }