Shorthand notation for multi-measure rests in music with frequent meter

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Shorthand notation for multi-measure rests in music with frequent meter changes ?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:53:28 -0500

I'm currently transcribing parts from music with frequently changing
meters and segments where a part is resting.  The sequence below is
typical.

    \time 3/4 R1*3/4 |
    \time 3/8 R1*3/8 |
    \time 4/4 R1*8/4 |  % 2 bars
    \time 3/8 R1*3/8 |

Does anyone know how to write a music function that will support a
more compact notation? Being able specify the time signature changes
and rests shown above with a syntax like the following would be a nice
timesaver.

mmr = #(define-music-function ....)

\mmr  3/4  3/8  2*4/4  3/8  ...

The best I've been able to cobble together is too messy to be useful
because of the need to use the # sign before arguments, etc.  In
particular, I haven't found any way to pass a bare fraction like 3/4
into a music function.

Thanks,
Mike