\RemoveEmptyStaffContext

From: Laurens van der Wee
Subject: \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:25:09 +0200

Hi experts,

I'm working on a score for two pianos and I want the upper part to start later than the lower one. Since it's quite some bars difference, I want the whole PianoStaff to be removed until it 'starts'. Something like this:

\score{
<<
\new PianoStaff <<
\new Staff{
\music
}
\new Staff{
\music
}

\new PianoStaff <<
\new Staff{
\music
}
\new Staff{
\music

\layout{
\context{
\RemoveEmptyStaffContext

The problem is that there are also some passages where the 'main' piano (the lower staff) has multiple bars of rests. This one should stay though. The current situation is even worse: if only the right hand has something to play, the left hand disappears too!
How can I apply this \RemoveEmptyStaffContext to just the upper PianoStaff and only to the whole thing, not it's individual Staff-s? Everything I try gives me lots of errors with unexpected \layout or \context-s...

Thanks a lot!

laurens.

____