Re: Is pagination quadratic?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Is pagination quadratic?
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:13:11 +0200

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Victor Eijkhout <address@hidden> wrote:
> So now I have this exercise study that generates close to 2000 scales like
> "\relative c { a b c d e f g a g f e d c b a}". And "finding the ideal number
> of pages" takes an ungodly amount of time. Minutes. Probably over 10.

That's to be expected: page-breaking is *the* most time-consuming
process in LilyPond. Using
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/minimal-page-breaking
should be fine and harmless in this specific case.

(On an unrelated note, I recently found that refreshing large PDF
documents takes forever when point-and-click is enabled.)

Cheers,
Valentin.