Re: Is pagination quadratic?

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Is pagination quadratic?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:05:13 +0200

Am 2011-04-12 um 11:47 schrieb Mark Austin:
Is it possible to switch of pagination completely, and rely on manual
breaks? To put this in context, I'm compling a book of folk tunes.
These tend to be 2-4 (very rarely more) lines long. I'd like them in
alphabetical order, but with individual tunes not split over pages,
and wouldn't mind a layout rather more cramped than Lilypond usually
likes. As it is, even with minimal page breaking, I end up shuffling
tunes around to improve the layout

Are you sure you don’t want to use lilypond-book (i.e. LaTeX) or an other program to do your layout?

I typeset my songbooklets with ConTeXt, and I take it for granted that there’s no perfect and automatical solution for page layout, esp. if lots of graphics (or tunes) are involved.

My TeX workflow allows for re-compiling only changed tunes, and you get a ToC for free. (But stuffing several small songs on a double page or patching remaining white space with pictures is sometimes a pain...)

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm