ossia and lyrics

From: David Bobroff
Subject: ossia and lyrics
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:28:29 +0000

I've been tasked with altering a score I've prepared. The score currently consists of a piano part with a vocal line and a contrabass obligato line. As it stands, all is well. Now I need to put in ossia passages for the voice. I have managed to create ossia passages by using examples in the manual but I'm running into a problem with getting the lyrics to appear. I want the ossia musical passages to appear above the original but I don't want lyrics under the ossia passage, only under the original. I currently have the separate elements of the vocal material defined like this:

% Lyrics
soprano = \lyricmode { "soprano lyrics" }

% music
sop =  \relative c'' { the soprano's music }

% assembled lyrics and music
vocal = {
<<
    \new Voice = sop \relative {
<<
    \clef G
    \global
    \sop

    }
    \addlyrics { \soprano }

}

I'd like to define my ossia sections and put them together with the definitions I already have without doing too much violence to the work I've already done. I was experimenting with the ossias (ossiƦ?) from section 1.6.2 of the Notation Manual but ran into trouble with the lyrics not showing up and getting an error about; cannot find Voice 'uniqueContext0' or something to that effect. I suspect there is some detail involving nesting, contexts or something which is proving beyond my ability to locate and/or decipher in the docs.

Help?

-David