Re: blocked here

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: blocked here
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 02:07:09 +0100

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 07:55:56AM +0800, 胡海鹏 - Hu Haipeng wrote:
> Is there any way to prevent the web from blockade?

There are various technical measures that you can take, but these
require knowledge and software which some governments may declare
to be illegal.

Internet censorship is certainly something that many people
(including myself) are concerned about -- but unfortunately the
majority of people want to restrict our ability to read stuff.
Big favorites of the "pro-censorship" side are terrorism, child
pornograph, illegal file sharing, and Mein Kampf.  An internet
free of government restrictions would permit such material to be
accessable, and few people are willing to pay that price.

Personally, I think that the solution to "bad speech" (such as
Mein Kampf) should be "good speech" and education -- let people
say whatever they want, but make sure that your population is
trained in rational thinking and that the correct information is
easy to find; that will expose the lunatics for what they are.
But this view is not widely shared.  :(

Cheers,
- Graham