Re: chord name spacing bug?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: chord name spacing bug?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:09:24 -0600

On 6/14/11 9:57 AM, "Jean-Alexis Montignies" <address@hidden> wrote:

> HI,
>
> This is a problem I periodically come across many times: collision between
> chord names (note that this happens even with no false bass chords), may be
> when the melody is active. I have a small example, I have hard time finding a
> shorter one.
> Should I fill this as a bug?

It would certainly be appropriate to file this as a bug report, but please
create a tiny example to do so.

<http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html>

> In the same vein: is there a way to set the padding between consecutive chord
> names?

No.  Notes are spaced according to the music layout, and chord names are
attached to the notes.  You can adjust the spacing between notes, e.g. with
an override to the 'base-shortest-duration property.  Horizontal spacing is
discussed in section 4.5 of the Notation Reference.

In my opinion, the best way to avoid chord name collisions would be to
change their vertical position, rather than their horizontal position.  I
think that the notes should govern the horizontal position, and should not
be adjusted for chord names.  Instead, chord names should be stacked, much
like markups are now.

As an admittedly inconvenient workaround, chord names could be attached to
notes as markups.

\version "2.15.1"
{
  {
    %\textLengthOn  % uncomment this line to get horizontal adjustment
    c'8 ^\markup{\halign #-0.8  {\score{\chords {c:maj7.13}\layout{}}}}
    a'8 ^\markup{\halign #-0.8 {\score{\chords {f2:13/g}\layout{}}}}

Doing this in a music function requires advanced programming that I haven't
worked out yet.

HTH,

Carl