Diatonic Instruments (Mountain Dulcimer)

From: Blake Thornton
Subject: Diatonic Instruments (Mountain Dulcimer)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:16:34 -0500 (CDT)

Has anyone done anything with Lilypond for tab for diatonic instruments like the mountain dulcimer (there must be others, but dulcimer is what I'm interested in). Basically, the instrument is missing some of the frets that would be on a chromatic instrucment (and, not all are the same). So, the standard fretting would be something like:
        W W H W W H W W
So, my string that is tuned open to D has the notes:
        D (open), E, F#, G, A, B, C D E
These fret numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. Obviously if I was happy numbering these with their chromatic equivalents (2, 4, etc) then there wouldn't be a problem.

I can think of several possibilities of what I would consider a solution but I have no idea where to start.

1) Ideally I would like to tell lilypond what frets I have available and what they are called (this would allow me to call a fret a "1+" instead of a 2 or a 3, which is what ).

2) Or, as a compromise, can I just enter numbers in for the frets instead of notes. This would at least let me enter the music in normally but then enter the tab in as numbers. This would not let me transpose on the fly, but it would at least print out something nice.

Thanks!
Blake