RE: Placing dynamics above above-staff lyrics

From: -Eluze
Subject: RE: Placing dynamics above above-staff lyrics
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 04:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

Connor Harris wrote:

> When the top voice has dynamic markings, though, Lilypond places the
> lyrics
> above the dynamics. The results are suboptimal, with large amounts of
> space
> between the lyrics and dynamics. I want to be able to position dynamics
> above
> lyrics to leave less space between the notes and the lyrics. I have looked
> for
> existing solutions in the mailing list archive and have tried several
> spacing
> tweaks, without success. Here's a small (admittedly somewhat contrived and
> pathological) file to illustrate what I'm talking about:

not sure if this solution will make you happy since the protruding stem
seems to be the problem.

but generally you can write dynamics in an own context and align this
context where you like:

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = "ss" \with {
      instrumentName = \markup \center-column { "Soprano I" "Soprano II" }
    } <<
      \new Voice = "soprano1" { \voiceOne \sopranoOne }
      \new Voice = "soprano2" { \voiceTwo \sopranoTwo }

    \new Lyrics = "lyrics1" \with { alignAboveContext = "ss" } \lyricsto
"soprano1" \sopranoOneVerse
    \new Lyrics = "lyrics2" \lyricsto "soprano2" \sopranoTwoVerse
    \new Dynamics \with { alignAboveContext = "lyrics1" } {
      s1 s4^\f s2 s4 s s8 s2 }

}
maybe some tweaking of vertical distance is needed.

hth
Eluze