Re: Percussion Notation

From: cdg
Subject: Re: Percussion Notation
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:51:41 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you all. I was able to adjust my tempo markup with:

  \tempo \markup {
    \medium \bold "Adagio ma con spirito "
    \fontsize #-3 \general-align #Y #DOWN \note #"8" #1
    " = "
    \general-align #Y #DOWN "132"
  }

This gets me much closer to the look I'm trying to recreate.

As far as the roll notation, I did have a mild degree of success using the
following settings:

  \override StemTremolo #'beam-thickness = #0.5
  \override StemTremolo #'slope = #.4
  \override StemTremolo #'beam-width = #1.5

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> I've looked this up in Elaine Gould's "Behind Bars", and both stem
> tremolos on
> beamed notes  (pp.224ff) as well as drum rolls (pp.294ff) use the same
> slope as
> the tremolo flags without beams. In no case is the tremolo beam adjusted
> have the same slope as the beam....

Yes. I totally agree. However, this is what I was getting:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31942537/Picture%2B4.png
And this is after the above adjustments:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31942537/Picture%2B5.png
Here's what I'm doing to input this, btw:

  sn8.:32^> sn16 r sn16:32^>

That gets much closer to what common percussion notation looks like, and
that's cool.
However, now I'm just trying to lower the position of the 1 and 2 tremolo on
the stem—they're far too close to the beams in some cases. One other issue
that I'm not sure is editable are the edges of the 1 and 2 slash tremolo
marks. It's hard to describe in words. The 3 slashes on a quarter or half
note are vertically smooth on the sides. With the 1 and 2 slashes (tremolo)
on eighths and smaller, the vertical sides are jagged, which is a result of
me adjusting the slope. Hopefully the following image makes this a little
more clear.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31942537/rollExample.jpg

There are quite a few other issues I'm trying to figure out, but I'll save
them for another day.

When I work in Lilypond, I have all sorts of reference windows open,
searching for solutions, but it's confusing knowing how to implement them.
Just when I think I've found something, I try it out, tweak the numbers (or
whatever the variable is) and often, nothing happens. I wish the Internals
Reference had examples of how each is used and "how tweaking this does that,
and how tweaking that does this". For example, \override Beam
#'beamed-stem-shorten. I've tweaked those 3 numbers all sorts of different
ways with little to no change. So now I'm thinking it's not what I think it
is.

But it's all good. When I do figure something out, I feel like I've
conquered the world. ;)

Thanks again for the help.

I love Gould's book, btw. I just got it in the mail a week or so ago.

CDG