Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:42:45 -0400

Count me in for US$100 toward the project.  Not sure how much programming time I can offer in addition,  but I'll certainly be more than willing to test the XML output with Finale 2010 as I have a full copy.

FWIW,  If this is done well I think it will open LilyPond to more new users than you would ever guess.   As a personal example, I sometimes collaborate with a composer/arranger who uses Finale exclusively.  She composes on paper a real piano and then uses the Finale interface to her electric piano to enter the notes.  She readily admits that entering dynamics, articulations, etc in Finale is time-consuming and clunky and that the LilyPond scores I produce are indeed better looking.

If there were a reliable 2-way XML conversion between the two programs it would not only allow me to use LilyPond when we work together but would, I think, give her just enough enough incentive to invest the effort needed to start using LilyPond, too.

Cheers,
Mike

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Pierre,

> What kind of funding would be possible

I offer C$100 to the MusicXML project.

If [Jan: hint hint!] my C$100 goes to creating a function (e.g., \displayLilystreamXML) which simply converts the raw Lilypond music stream (i.e., what we see with \displayMusic) as an XML blob, I'm happy to do "for free" all the XSLT coding required to turn that "LilystreamXML" into useable MusicXML.

However, if the entire project will be in C++ and/or Scheme, I can offer little (to nothing) beyond the C$100.

> how many would we be on the project?

If you scan the archives for XML, you'll find that a bunch of people have offered help on this.
You'll probably want to do a fresh call for team members, though, as the thread has been dormant of late.

Cheers,
Kieren.