Re: Scheme for rhythmic transposition

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Scheme for rhythmic transposition
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:03:25 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2011 11:22 AM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

\shiftDurations seems to be remaining poorly documented.  I'd be happy
to update the LSR with that function rather than the way it is now,
but it seems to me that durations can only be made shorter, not
longer?  If I use:

   \shiftDurations 1 0 { \music }

all is OK.  However, with

   \shiftDurations -1 0 { \music }

I get:

ShiftDur.ly:11:20: error: wrong type for argument 1.  Expecting
integer, found #<Prob: Music C++: Music((digit . 1) (origin
. #<location ShiftDur.ly:11:21>))((display-methods #<procedure #f
(event parser)>) (name . FingeringEvent) (types general-music
fingering-event event)) >

   \shiftDurations
                   -1 0 { \music }

Is this the correct usage, and does this mean that \shiftDurations
does only shorted music?

1 is an UNSIGNED.  -1 is a fingering.  Hooray.  Try #-1 instead.  I'll
eventually get around to getting the "interpret in the correct manner by
magic" behavior for negative numbers as well, but it has never been in
Lilypond so far.  Actually, historically Lilypond would have balked at 1
as well, calling for #1 instead.  So in a way, your impression is partly
my fault.

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=305

The simpler syntax doesn't work with the LSR, since it's still at 2.12. FWIW, with 2.15.18, using a negative number as the number of dots to add (I know, it makes no sense) appears to cause lily to loop and grab memory. I killed the process at 40 seconds and 1.8 Gigs of memory.

--
Phil Holmes