Re: mark text (not markup) to fill Rest bars?

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Re: mark text (not markup) to fill Rest bars?
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:11:59 +0100

On 11/30/2011 03:36 PM, address@hidden wrote:

On Nov 30, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Rutger Hofman wrote:

Good afternoon list,

in
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/writing-rests#index-_005ctextLengthOn
 , the section on "Multi-measure rest markup", I find a method to have empty
bars (Rest bars) extend to the length of the ^\markup{ ... bla ... }. I would like to
have the same behaviour for \mark \markup{ ... bla ... }. Is that possible?

Rutger Hofman
Amsterdam
Lilypond 2.14.2

\relative c' {
  \override Score . RehearsalMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)
  \override Score . RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
  \mark \markup "foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar"
  R1

MS

Thanks, this works well for multimeasure rests. But I would also like the same mark to work for another staff that has music in it. With these overrides, that looks weird: the markup is stretched over an empty space, the music starts after it.

Is there some trickery to find out whether the mark has rests following it?
Or is there some trickery to selectively disable these overrides by hand, e.g. when there are notes? Ultimately, I would like to be able to specify where in time the markup ends -- that would give lots of control.

Rutger