Re: Footnotes documentation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Footnotes documentation
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:45:34 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Le Dec 11, 2011 à 10:59 AM, David Kastrup a écrit :

>>> I still am having trouble seeing what grob this would footnote?
>>
>> I have no idea.  I never used footnotes.  I am just giving you a single
>> \footnote command that can do everything that your four footnote
>> commands did previously.
>
> OK, but it would be impossible to reduce it to this, as there is no
> way for it to lead to LilyPond intelligently and predictably choosing
> a grob if no default is provided.

Mike, be reasonable.  My proposed change in syntax does _exactly_ with
one command what your currently defined four commands do.  So of course
it _is_ possible to reduce the current state to this.

There is no point in writing
\footnoteGrob #'ScriptGrob #'(2 3) "x" "y"
if you can just make
\footnote #'ScriptGrob #'(2 3) "x" "y"
do the same without disturbing the function of
\footnote #'(2 3) "x" "y"
in any way.

Whether or not the current state makes sense is a question different
from the syntax.  But you are not arguing against my proposed single
definition covering all four use cases above, but rather about the
deficiencies of the functionality called by the syntax.  And I don't
touch that at all.

--
David Kastrup