Re: ties across voices

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: ties across voices
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:58:28 -0500

Quoting Alberto Simões <address@hidden>:

It's all in the documentation if you look:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/snippets/simultaneous-notes#suppressing-warnings-for-clashing-note-columns

I confess I didn't search for it, as I would be okay with the warning :)
But thanks, it makes compile cleaner.

It would be better to avoid cross-voice ties. A tie is a very good indication that the notes are in the same voice. You can change the voice style (\voiceOne etc) but keep the tied notes in one voice.

I would do something like this:

\version "2.14.2"
\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice \relative c'' { \voiceOne d4 s4 }
    \new Voice \relative c'' { \voiceTwo b4 ~ \voiceOne b4 }
    \new Voice \relative c'' { s4 \voiceTwo a4 }

  \layout { }
}

It's possible to use just two voices in the above example and avoid silent rests, but I prefer to keep voices sorted by the pitch, the first voice being the highest and the last being the lowest.

Don't forget voiceThree and voiceFour, they can fix the clashes. I use stemUp and stemDown as the last resort.

I don't use temporary voice ever, there are too many problems with them down the road.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin