Re: mmrest-oflength not generating MMR 2.15.24

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: mmrest-oflength not generating MMR 2.15.24
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:01:49 -0700

On 01/16/2012 01:34 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Paul Scott<address@hidden>  writes:

That works but my actual cadenza is longer than 8 eighth notes.  When I add
another eighth note and put the \cadenza On and Off back in the MMR
disappears
again.  Even putting 9/8 for that example doesn't help.
I have no clue what you are trying to do here.

Put a cadenza in a score and write the parts for the other instruments.
  The whole point of a cedenza is that bars are _off_.

Yes.  Exactly.

  What does it mean to make a
"multi-measure rest" in an area that does not even have a measure?

Most places that I see a cadenza in printed music the other instruments have a one measure rest with a fermata over it.

It's my understanding from NR 1.2.6 that mmrest-of-length is to provide a MMR (of length 1 whole rest?) for the instruments that are resting during the cadenza. (The next question will be what about the instruments who are sustaining a note.)

It does seem that NR 1.2.6 is misleading by showing a "cadenza" that fits perfectly into a normal measure. That is not a typical cadenza in my experience.

I also get these errors:

programming error: Multi_measure_rest::get_rods (): I am not spanned!
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: Object is not a markup.
continuing, cross fingers
This object should be a markup: ()
programming error: Multi_measure_rest::get_rods (): I am not spanned!
continuing, cross fingers
Those are certainly worth reporting.

That may depend on where the rest of this discussion goes. I have many cases in my actual code where those errors don't occur and the music is almost working.

Thanks,

Paul