Re: MetronomeMarks and MultiMeasureRest spacing

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: MetronomeMarks and MultiMeasureRest spacing
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 14:51:13 -0800 (PST)

James-379 wrote:

> Could you add this to the LilyPond Snippet Repository?
>
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/html/whatsthis.html
>
> or if it doesn't work for 2.12 (the current version of LSR)
>
> Perhaps paste your code here for others to use?
>
> Depending on the code, I don't pretend to understand what I'm looking
> at here - we could even add it as a snippet in the current Notation
> Reference.

Sure. Here's the code for my test file.

\version "2.14.2"
\language "english"

global = {
\tempo "For example blah blah blah"
s1*2
\mark \default
s1*2
}

foo = \relative c' {
  c4 d e f |
  g f e d |
  c e g b |
  d2 c2 |
}

baz = {
  R1*4
}

\book {

  \score {
    <<
      \new MarkLine \global
      \new Staff { \compressFullBarRests << \global \foo >> }

    \layout {
      \context {
        \name "MarkLine"
        \type "Engraver_group"
        \consists Output_property_engraver
        \consists Axis_group_engraver
        \consists Mark_engraver
        \consists Metronome_mark_engraver
        \override RehearsalMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 1)
        \override MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0.5 . 0)
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-2 . 2 )
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing =
#'((basic-distance . 1)

(minimum-distance . 1)
                                                              (padding . 1)

(stretchability . 3))
      }
      \context {
        \Score
        \override MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = #2
        \remove Mark_engraver
        \remove Metronome_mark_engraver
        \accepts MarkLine
  \score {
      <<
        \new MarkLine \global
        \new Staff { \compressFullBarRests << \global \baz >> }

[...]

I don't have 2.12 installed on my system, so I couldn't say whether this is
compatible with 2.12. It would be nice not to have to duplicate so much code
between \score blocks, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

You'll notice that this solution doesn't solve the problem of overlapping
marks for measures containing music. I'm open to suggestions on how to fix
that. I tried the following, according to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/aligning-objects#using-the-side_002dposition_002dinterface
:

        \override RehearsalMark #'side-axis = #0
        \override RehearsalMark #'direction = #1
        \override RehearsalMark #'X-offset =
#ly:side-position-interface::x-aligned-side

But it doesn't solve the overlapping, and causes the staff lines to
disappear. Any idea why that's happening?