Re: Hiding the RH piano staff

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: Hiding the RH piano staff
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 01:30:59 -0800 (PST)

JanTerje wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a piano arrangement (of Pirates of the Caribbean) which has 19
> bars of solo left hand before the right hand enters. I'd very much like to
> hide the right hand piano staff until the right hand enters.
>
> I've tried the hide staff options I've found in the manuals, but they only
> seem to work on separate instruments, not within a piano staff system.
> I've also tried to search this mailing list without luck.
>
> Is this at all possible to do? Any hints and clues would be very
> appreciated.
>
> Oh, and for the record: I run the latest version (2.14.2) and must admit
> I'm relatively new to Lilypond.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jan Terje Augestad

According to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/internals/pianostaff, the only
difference between a GrandStaff and a PianoStaff is that in a PianoStaff the
staves are only hidden together. So what you want is to use a GrandStaff.

\version "2.14.2"
\language "english"

foo = \relative c' {
  c4 d e f |
  g f e d |
  \break
  c e g b |
  d2 c |
}

baz = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  R1*2 |
  c2 e4 g |
  b2 c2 |
}

\score {
  \new GrandStaff <<
    \new Staff \foo
    \new Staff \with {
      \remove "Axis_group_engraver"
      \consists "Hara_kiri_engraver"
      \override Beam #'auto-knee-gap = #'()
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-empty = ##t
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
    } \baz

  \layout {}