Re: Vertically align bar line in polyphonic music

From: Matthew Collett
Subject: Re: Vertically align bar line in polyphonic music
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:10:45 +1300

On 12/02/2012, at 9:25 am, Marcel Korpel wrote:

> I am transcribing a 16th-century mass for 4 voices I got the next
> problem: its Kyrie is divided in three parts that are separated by a
> || bar. The last note of each part is a longa (sometimes with a
> fermata) that just fills up the rest of the space until all voices
> pause. In the upper voices I manually expanded the internal measure
> length to fit the longa in one bar (lines 47 and 76). Those voices
> look correctly.

Unless you really want barlines at different times in different parts (and I am
fairly sure you don't), leave the the timing translator and the bar line
engraver in the score rather than moving them to the staff.  Then you only have
to make and unmake the change of bar length in one part;  otherwise you need to
do it in every part, which is tedious and error prone.

> As the two lower voices reach the longa at earlier places, I need to
> fill the leading space with invisible rests ('s', lines 98 and 118).

Just remember that the last bar has been made double length, so needs that much
extra filling (i.e. an extra breve's worth in each part).

With those changes, it aligns fine for me.

Best wishes,
Matthew