Re: spam

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: spam
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:44:31 -0700

Hans Aberg wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Correct.  Unfortunately hacked mail accounts seem to be on the rise
> > lately.  It isn't unusual to see an address from a currently active
> > member posting spam these days due to a hacked account.
>
> It may look a bit mysterious at this end, because it gives an
> impression of somebody hacking the mailing list, whereas in reality,
> the mail account has been hacked.

Yes.  Because it isn't required to be subscribed to post to the GNU
mailing lists.  There isn't any such thing as a mailing list account.
It is only the user's mail account that is getting hacked.  The
problem for the mailing list helpers is to keep things moving where
people can post and spammers are blocked.  And all of the while the
people are in motion, always in motion.

> One way to do the latter is to install a key logger in Internet
> cafes, a method common in some parts of the world, I am told.

Security is something that is too often overlooked.  And then when
addressed is done so too strongly creating problems in the other
direction.  Right-sizing security is harder than people think at first
glance.

> Also, I have seen spam from some hacked Windows computers - they are
> taken over and becomes spambots.

I believe that the majority of virus infected computers are done so
for the specific purpose of sending spam.  It is a huge problem.

> So both reasons make it important to notify the owner of an account.

Yes.

> FYI, here is an even worse case, impersonation of James Kass, the
> author of Code200x fonts.

Ha!  I have had my own email address forged before too.

Thankfully now that this episode is over we can return to normal
mailing list activities.

Bob