Re: Note names in Midi Note Numbers?

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Re: Note names in Midi Note Numbers?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 14:25:14 -0800

Jonghyun Kim wrote:
> Thanks Ole for good info. I will test it.
>
> Really there is no way to write pitches with midi numbers in Lilypond?

No.  MIDI note numbers are just an implementation detail of a specific
computer protocol -- a way of writing a frequency.  Music is notated in
alphabetic notes.  As I now think Nils was trying to point out, when you
write MIDI number 48, there's no indication whether that should be
notated as B#, or C natural, or Dbb, and Lilypond absolutely needs to
know that.  The note number doesn't contain enough information.

If you want to engrave music for others to read, you need to know and
work with the note names.

--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.