Re: separating design from pure score

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: separating design from pure score
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:31:09 +0000

On 3/14/2012 6:16 PM, Stjepan Horvat wrote:
Hello,

I'm working on a project and i want to separate the design from score
because i want to have a clear score so that in the future when i
maybe want to change the design i dont have to change the score
(something like html and CSS :) ). So when i include my score into my
design file variables are included but score block also. Now when i
what to change, for example, \mark \default to have a preety box i
dont know where to put it. Is there a way not to include a score block
but all variables, or insert stuff into a score block that is
invisible to me?

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but when I'm coding something from an old part, or manuscript, I'll define:

mBreak = \break

...and then use \mBreak to make the line breaks the same as the original, while I'm working on it, for easier error checking. Then when I'm done with the input I change the definition to:

mBreak = {}

...and LilyPond decides where the line breaks should be. Could you do something like that to achieve what you're after?

It's also possible to make "layers" and then put them together like this:

something = { time and key signature info }

somethingElse = { the music itself }

somethingMore = { line breaks, rehearsal marks etc. }

\score {
     \relative c {
    \set Score.skipBars = ##t
<<
        \something % time sigs, key sigs
        \somethingElse % notes etc.
        \somethingMore % line breaks etc.

Or am I not really understanding the question?

-David