Installing LilyPond fonts for use in programs under Windows 7

From: address@hidden
Subject: Installing LilyPond fonts for use in programs under Windows 7
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 11:37:55 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

This is my first post, but I've used LilyPond for a number of projects and love
the beautiful output. I am also
learning to love her possibilities for shortcuts and tweaking output, although
some possibilities are more lovable more
than others. (I'll have a question or two about defining markup commands at
some stage.) That's not my question now
though, which is:

Is it possible to install the Feta/Emmentaler font(s?) in Windows 7 so that
characters become
available in applications running under Windows? I tried simply double clicking
on the Emmentaler otf files, with the
result that they got "installed" according to the Windows Control Panel's Fonts
feature, and the font name appeared in
Windows programs' font lists, but the glyphs just didn't appear. Is there some
other way (i.e. without installing the
fonts) of straightforwardly including LilyPond glyphs in files prepared using
Windows programs?

I only want to insert
isolated musical characters from time to time, e.g. in MS Word documents, but
it kind of offends me using "Brand X"
musical fonts in order to do that.

And by the way, what is the relationship between Feta and Emmentaler?

I have
searched the documentation and the user forum as best I could and didn't
succeed in finding answers. My apologies if
I've missed them as a beginner. If that is the case, I'd be grateful for a
(hopefully polite-ish) suggestion as to
where I should look. I'm using LilyPond 2.14.2 (or maybe 2.16, as from tomorrow
...).

Philip