Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 09:50:22 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:

> Let me try to rephrase things: the more functionality is moved into
> the Scheme layers, the less people you can find who are capable of
> working on it.

For me, the complexity of LilyPond itself outplays learning a new
programming language by far.  Moreover, learning scheme has given me a
very helpful and refreshing new perspective on programming.

I'm wondering, do you think that learning a new language such as scheme
would scare you away from hacking on LilyPond, if you discovered it?

> Therefore, you should be careful with moving more and more code into
> the Scheme layer.

If the former hypothesis was true, then maybe.  Or maybe not -- most
important is that things get better, simpler, easier to extend and
change for the current hackers, imvho.

Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl