Re: midi for orchestral scores

From: ArnoldTheresius
Subject: Re: midi for orchestral scores
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 03:33:03 -0700 (PDT)

Shevek wrote:

> As I see it, the primary issue here from a user's perspective is that
> lilypond presents us with a choice between playback limited to 16 channels
> and going all the way to the other extreme and learning to use complicated
> sequencer software just to get all the instruments to sound. ...

This reminds me to another 'old' idea:
A new XML syntax file format which eleminates the most important
restrictions of todays midi file:
- unlimited number of voices (much more than 16)
- unlimited number of instrument patches (more than 256)
- microtonality without pitch bending (semitone pitch number as rational
number)
- true slur (active pitch1 becomes pitch2 instead of release key for pitch1
and press key for pitch2)
- stereo (or more chanels) output definitions per voice

I know, this would also require some programmers to implement such an
'extension' on the sequencers, e.g. timidity.

So, I would say, this can only be a far goal for the future.