Re: NR 4.1.6: blank-last-page-force and penalty values

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: NR 4.1.6: blank-last-page-force and penalty values
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:28:30 +1000

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
NR 4.1.6, \paper variable for page breaking
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/other-_005cpaper-variables#_005cpaper-variables-for-page-breaking

I'd like to force the add of a blank page in case the number of pages in a book is odd.
I guess I should use blank-last-page-force.

I had a look at ly/paper-defaults-init.ly to see the default values and I see that penalty values are numbers.
Default value of blank-last-page-force is 0, so I guess that as I increase the number it's more likely to get the blank page.

No, lilypond will never put a blank page at the end. You could probably achieve that in a pdf editor.

Also, the definition is not very clear, because it doesn't say explicitly what it actually does.. you have to guess it:

###
blank-last-page-force
The penalty for ending the score on an odd-numbered page.
###

If you make blank-last-page-force large and use ly:page-turn-breaking, then lilypond will be unlikely to produce a score where the last page is odd-numbered. Instead, it will adjust the spacing in order to use one page more or fewer.

Cheers,
Joe