Re: What’s wrong with this snippet?

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: What’s wrong with this snippet?
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:11:01 +1000

On 13 August 2012 16:16, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> \lyricsto refits the durations.

Ah, that would explain it. My real-world example is something like this:

\skip 1*17 \skip 4*4 % 17 3/4 bars of complicated music

I’m using a blank syllable and \melisma at the moment, but was
investigating other options. What might be nice (if this not too
cornerish a case) is something like:

melody = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  \lyricsOff % \lyricsto ignores these notes
  d4 e f g
  \lyricsOn
  a b c d
}

On 13 August 2012 15:52, David Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the usual practical situation, where the lyrics are for a singer, it
> doesn't make common sense to have entire bars (or even entire beats) that
> both have notes *and* don't have lyrics.

Very true... in this case I’m doing a hymn arrangement where the choir
sings in harmony along with the organ, so the organ has no lyrics
until the actual first verse starts.

Vaughan