Re: \override Hairpin #'minimum-length

From: mkuuskan
Subject: Re: \override Hairpin #'minimum-length
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:06:36 -0700

On 16.8.2012, at 23:00, Tiresia GIUNO <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:05:12 -0700
> address@hidden wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can any of you Lilypond people tell me why the "\override Hairpin
>> #'minimum-length …" does not actually seem to control the length of
>> the hairpin? Am I missing something here?
>>

>> \version "2.14.2"
>> \relative c'' {
>>      \once \override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #5 \afterGrace
>> c4\<  s1\! c4 c4 c4
>>
>>      % here the hairpin is too short
>>      \once \override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #5 \afterGrace
>> c4\<\ppp  s1\!\fz c4 c4 c4 }
>>

>> regards,
>>
>> Mika Kuuskankare
>>

> The minimum-lenght property is set by default at 2.0 (staff spaces),
> see:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/internals/hairpin
>
> In the second bar of your example, setting it to #5, it's still too
> short, because you added dynamics as well (ppp and fz). If you want the
> same lenght of the first hairpin you should increase the minimum-lenght
> till #11 - or something like this.
>
> Of course this will increase also the distance between the first two
> notes.
>
> Regards,
> TG

Hi,

Yes, I realize that. I'm just wondering if the minimum-lenght property does
what it is supposed to do? In my second case the length of the hairpin itself
is much shorter than what the minimum suggests…
I can see that the doc says it *tries* to make a spanner at least that long…
can you force this?

Mika Kuuskankare