Hiding expressive notation

From: Ben Eichler
Subject: Hiding expressive notation
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:44:01 +1200

Hi there,

I transcribe music for guitar using a normal staff and tabstaff. About 99% of the time, when I specify a string a note must be played on, I don't want it to create a string notation on the normal staff, I only want it to change the string used (and show the correct fret) on the TabStaff.

Is it possible for me to hide this type of notation from the normal staff without rewriting the music without specifying the strings? I tried searching for a command in the index but couldn't find anything relevant.

Here's a simplified code snippet so you can see how annoying this gets:

music = \relative c {
\repeat unfold 8 { <c g'\4 c\3>8 }
\repeat unfold 8 { <c f c'\3 f\2> }
%  .....etc
}

new StaffGroup <<
new Staff {
\music
}
new TabStaff {
\music
}

You guys are really a helpful and insightful bunch, thanks for all your help so far.

-Ben