Re: bookpart, titles and table-of-contents

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: bookpart, titles and table-of-contents
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:06:11 -0400

On 09/02/2012 05:45 PM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Il 02/09/2012 18:33, Christopher R. Maden ha scritto:
>> The \bookpart starts a new page.
>
> Regarding this, I have another question: is it possible to prevent
> the page break between two bookparts? I've tried putting \pageBreak
> in several places but none worked.
>
> I'm writing a book where there are normal pieces, which need a page
>  break and so \bookpart is ok. But there are also some short
> exercises, each in a separate file, and I don't want a page break
> after each small exercise. OTOH, if I decide not to use \bookpart
> in those files, the title won't be printed unless I set
> print-all-headers to ##t in the book file; but if I do so, the
> titles of files using \bookpart are duplicated. I don't know why..

I’m pretty sure the main purpose of \bookpart is to start a new
page...  You might be able to override the page break, but I am not
enough of a guru to know how offhand (and a cursory search turned
nothing up).

Remember you can have multiple scores in each bookpart, and a score
can have its own title.  In my Irish tune book, I do:

% appropriate includes here

\book {
  \header {
    title = "crism’s tunes"
  }
  \markuplines \table-of-contents
  \bookpart {
    \tocItem \markup {
      \bold "Reels"
    }
    \header {
      title = "Reels"
    }
    \tocItem \markup { \hspace #2 "The Concertina Reel" }
    \score {
      \concReelLayout
      \header {
        title = "The Concertina Reel"
      }
      \layout {}
  \bookpart {
    \tocItem \markup {
      \bold "Jigs"
    }
    \header {
      title = "Jigs"
    }
    \tocItem \markup { \hspace #2 "Banish Misfortune" }
    \score {
      \banishLayout
      \header {
        title = "Banish Misfortune"
      }
      \layout {}

The bookpart and score titles come through just fine.  If I were to
leave out the bookpart title, it would also all be fine.  (I don’t use
variables for this one because it’s actually all generated out of an
XML file so that I can keep an alphabetical index of the many, many,
many alternate titles by which these tunes are known.)

~Chris
LIVE FREE: vote for Gary Johnson, Libertarian for President.
GnuPG fingerprint: DB08 CF6C 2583 7F55 3BE9  A210 4A51 DBAC 5C5C 3D5E