Re: Changing quarter tone notation

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Changing quarter tone notation
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 14:44:50 -0700

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 06:37:38 -0700, Arle Lommel <address@hidden> wrote:

 If the arrows were independent of the sharp and flat signs (which would derive
as normal from the key signature plus accidentals, as if the quarter-tone
shifts did not exist) and placed above/below the note heads, that would be it.
For example, if I want a C-natural ↑ in the LSR example and the key signature
doesn't specify C♯, I get a glyph with a♮+ ↑ in it. In the system I would like
to use there would be no natural sign at all in this case, just the arrow over
(or below) the note head.

No, there is not any mechanism in LilyPond to print two independent glyphs
(such as sharp or arrow or both) in two different places, based on pitch names.

  cih'4 \( b4 | a4 b4 | cih4 a4 | a8 e4. | fih4 d4 | e2 \) |

If there are no arrow alterations in your key signatures, and you do not need
to transpose by the pitch-change represented by an arrow,

then you might want to represent the arrows as articulations.
       up = ^"↑"
       dn = _"↓"
       \transpose c c''{ c-\up cis-\dn }

The text-scripts above are not very nice, but I think with a minor amount of
writing a Scheme data structure you can define your own Scripts that get the
right placement in the staff and inside slurs.  I have never done this myself,
so look in the manuals and .scm definition files so far as you are interested,
or maybe someone else here has done similar and will suggest how.