Re: How to define multiple pieces per page

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: How to define multiple pieces per page
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 00:26:38 +0200

2012/10/23 Helge Kruse <address@hidden>:
> Hello,
>
> I know I can place each piece as a bookpart in a book. This allows to define
> fancy headers. I can also just write some \scores one after the other, but I
> am missing the section headers between them.
>
> But how do I write pieces like the tacet piece I in
> http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/c/c1/IMSLP38182-PMLP09176-Borodin-Sym2.Harp.pdf.
> This should not occupy a page. Instead I would like to remember the player
> that there is nothing to do.
>
> What is the name of the headlines "SCHERZO", "FINALE" and how can I
> implement this with Lilypond?
>
> Regards
> Helge

Hi Helge,

I'm not completely sure what you want to achieve, perhaps the code
below will give you some hints.

I used \Devnull for the "TACET". This will return a warning but I
think/hope it's sure to ignore it.
Several other workarounds are added, many others are thinkable.
I hope my comments in the code will give some more info.

\version "2.14.2"

\paper {
        oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line {
                \null
                \on-the-fly #not-first-page
                \center-column {
                        \concat {
                                \fromproperty #'header:title
                                " - "
                                \fromproperty #'header:subtitle
                        }
                        \vspace #0.1
                        \bold \fromproperty #'header:whatInstrument
                }
                \right-column {
                        " "
                        \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
                        \vspace #0.1
        evenHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line {
                \right-column {
                        " "
                        \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
                        \vspace #0.1
                }
                \on-the-fly #not-first-page
                \center-column {
                        \concat {
                                \fromproperty #'header:title
                                " - "
                                \fromproperty #'header:subtitle
                        }
                        \vspace #0.1
                        \bold \fromproperty #'header:whatInstrument
                }
                \null

\header {
        title = "Alexander Borodin"
        subtitle = "Symphony No.2 B Minor"
        subsubtitle = \markup \vspace #2
        % the header-variable "instrument" would be
        % printed in the book-header on the first page.
        % Therefor I used "whatInstrument"
        whatInstrument = "ARPA"
}

\score {
        % "Devnull" will not print any musical output.
        % -> IR 2.1 Contexts
        % There will be warning:
        % programming error: system with empty extent
        % I think, it con be ignored
        % -> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=536
        \new Devnull { s }
        \header {
                % abuse of "opus"
                opus = \markup \fontsize #6
                         \fill-line {
                                 \center-column {
                                         "I."
                                         "TACET."
        \layout { }
}

\score {
        \new Staff { \repeat unfold 30 { c''1\break } }
        \header {
                piece = "ARPA"
                opus = \markup \fontsize #6
                         \fill-line {