Bass and chords

From: Frédéric Fanchamps
Subject: Bass and chords
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 19:44:10 +0100

Hi,
I'm using Lilypond to write traditional folk music for diatonic accordion.
On that kind of instrument you have the melody (done with the right hand) and the bass and chords done by the left hand.
Typically the melody is written as a normal score and the left hand (bass and chord) is written like this: uppercase letter for chords and lower case for chords.
Let's say you want a C bass, then a C major chord, then a G bass and then a G major chord, under the score you find:
C c G g
More "complex" things such as mixed bass and chords have also their convention: chord of F bass of D is written like: f/D

I wonder what is the best way to write it with Lilypond?

Adding the chords with \chords is no problem but then I can't indicate when is it bass only and when is it chord.
Adding this notation as pure text is possible but I would find very pity to not get the midi file and to make transpose impossible.

Finally, if it would be possible to note "no chord" as a normal rest of the correct duration instead of N.C. it would be great.

Thanks,

Fred