Re: bmc2ly: Braille music to LilyPond conversion

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: bmc2ly: Braille music to LilyPond conversion
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:02:40 +0100

On 12 nov. 2012, at 14:47, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mario Lang <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Would it be useful if LilyPond could export BMC?
>>
>> Of course!  Actually, thats something that blind people are wishing
>> for for a long time so that they could make use of the huge body of
>> LilyPond music on Mutopiaproject for instance.
>
> I am skeptical that sighted people can easily make use of the huge body
> of LilyPond music on Mutopiaproject at the moment.
>
>> I am not sure, I think it would be quite hard to implement.  I have
>> looked at how to start such an endeavour at least two times in the
>> past and have never really understood the internals of LilyPond enough
>> to end up anywhere useful.  I guess what we need is a function that
>> receives music expressions and translates them into braille music,
>> outputting to some file.  However, the transformations required to
>> produce proper braille music are quite involved.  I'd be happy to work
>> together with anyone with enough Lily internals knowledge who would be
>> interested to attack this problem.
>
> It would probably raise more interest to first tackle MusicXML export
> and then use the code as a starting base for doing Braille as well.

I could agree more with this statement.  Please consider doing this.  I wanted
to do this about a year ago but could not find enough help/support to do it
(it'd be a major job).

I can give you tips on how to do it and even get you started off - I have a
sense of the type of code it'd require, but it'd take time to create all the
conversion rules in Scheme.

Cheers,
MS