Re: Tweaking notehead direction in chords

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Tweaking notehead direction in chords
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 00:23:22 -0500

Hi Harm,

On Jan 6, 2013, at 7:38 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

> The problem is that \displaceHeads uses 'before-line-breaking.
> In case of beamed stems it tries to call the 'stencil before it is calculated.
>
> Changing the property to 'after-line-breaking seems to solve this issue.
>
> Drawback: The spacing of the NoteColumns is affected.
> See the example with "my crazy NoteHead"
> Will think about it.

Thanks for the reminder about 'before-line-breaking.

For my own use I think I will just revise the code so it checks the stem
'thickness property rather than the stencil width.  That will work for me since
I don't plan on overriding the stem stencil.

But I'm not sure what the best approach for the snippet would be.  Maybe
there's a way to try checking the stencil width, and if that fails, fall back
to the 'thickness property.  (I realize this is how it currently should work,
by using "ly:stencil?" but since that doesn't get around this error...?)  Maybe
"catch" would help?
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/Catch.html#Catch

Cheers,
-Paul