vspace multiplier

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: vspace multiplier
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:22:14 +1100

Dear List,

New to lilypond, and with a background in IT in every language _except_ Scheme (;-)), I wonder if somebody could explain why vspace multiplies its argument by 3.0?

I am also seeing no effect if I use arguments less than one. What is going on here, and why this behaviour?

The root question is, how can I control vertical spacing of text lines with fine increments? I have read the manual over and over, and its not immediately obvious. Is it even possible? I am not referring to baseline skip, but rather to being able to have control over spacing of lines in a title page, for example.

Andrew