Re: change barline type with time signature change

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: change barline type with time signature change
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:48:05 -0500

Hi Werner,

> the larger the deviation from standard engraving practice, the
> more irritating it is to the casual reader (read: musicians who are
> constantly lacking enough rehearsals).  There must be *very* good
> reasons to not follow the engraving tradition

Agreed — for example, the modern (and provedly superior) "beam to the beat, not
the melisma" standard of vocal engraving was undoubtedly irritating to singers
during the changeover, but there was a very good reason for that change, and
the vocal/choral world is far better off now that the change has taken hold.

In my case, fortunately
1. this is only a small deviation from standard engraving practice (the dashed
barline is not *that* much different from the regular barline, and "modern time
signatures" are fairly common nowadays); and,
2. the conductor's score is the only place the difference will be seen (i.e.,
the "underrehearsed musicians" won't even see it).

I'm just pointing out that we're all afraid of change, and tend to reject it
despite the potential benefits.

Cheers,
Kieren.