Re: Advocating non-free softwares

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:16:52 -0500

David,

> "tolerant" is not the same as "stanceless".

Agreed. And "taking a stance" is not the same as "driving potential users away
with your senseless bigotry, and bothering existing users with your poor
communication skills".
But that is all semantics.

> Forbidding people to discuss what that means and implies
> with regard to our web presence it is actually neither balanced nor
> tolerant, and when this imbalance and intolerance is tilted against the
> GNU project and its goals and guidelines, it is not even serving a
> discernible purpose.

Please point out exactly where in this thread I "forbid" someone from
discussing anything — otherwise, please stop using rhetorical fallacies such as
the above. I am — and have been — simply pointing out that, for most balanced
and rational users on this list, the tenor of this thread has gone over the
line into a "religious" advocacy which will, in my opinion, do the opposite of
what is (hopefully) our common purpose: to endear Lilypond to all users,
regardless of their stance on "freedom-denying operating systems".

That's my last 2¢ on this topic. I have far better things to do with my time
and energy — like continuing to pay my hard-earned money for the development of
Lilypond and its wonderful features, and continuing to spread the good word
about Lilypond in an inclusive way.

Kieren.