Re: Fingering orientations and use of <>

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Fingering orientations and use of <>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 02:02:47 +0100

2013/3/18 Nick Payne <address@hidden>:
> The 2.17 NR says
> (http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/inside-the-staff#fingering-instructions)
> "For fingering orientation to apply, you must use a chord construct <> even
> if it is a single note."
>
> However, this only seems to be the case if you want to put the fingering on
> the left or the right. If you want the fingering above or below (which is
> where I usually put it if possible), then note^finger or note_finger without
> the chord construct works fine.
>
> Is this unintentional or can I actually make use of this without finding
> that it will cease to be the case in some future release? If I don't have to
> use the chord construct, then it's considerably less typing in a guitar
> score with a lot of fingering indications to be able to omit the <> every
> time a single note has a fingering indication:

Hi Nick,

currently we have these two engravers:
Fingering_engraver and New_fingering_engraver.

The New_fingering_engraver has these properties:
fingeringOrientations
harmonicDots
stringNumberOrientations
strokeFingerOrientations

If you want to use any of these properties you need the chord-construct.

The Fingering_engraver applies more or less to fingerings without <>.

That's the current more or less intended state and it's a mess.

Well, I'm quite half-assed to divine the future, though, I hope we
will change the current status somewhere down the road.

Being a guitarist myself I write any single note, where it might be
possible to assume a left or right positioning of the fingering, in
<>, and I will not change this until the engravers-medley is somehow
more cleared up.

Btw, don't forget that the argument of \fingeringOrientations is a
list you can use '(down left up). That's sometimes very helpful.

Cheers,
  Harm